Pickup deals in all categories!
Bioscapes BioCube Wildlife Planter
The BioCube is a unique patented product that has been developed to create species-rich ecosystems, and directly address the need for biodiversity net gain. This is achieved through the creation of integrated habitats capable of supporting small mammals, amphibians, microorganisms, and invertebrates. It is the biggest unit in the BioScapes range, suited to large residential, community or commercial settings.
In trials, when compared to an adjacent short grass area, a single BioScape habitat unit delivered a 10-fold increase in invertebrates and a 3-fold increase in amphibian species.
The BioCube includes:
- BioCube core
- BioCube base unit
- Wet habitat reservoir
- Amphibian refuge
- Hedgehog house
- 4 x Bee hotels
- 4 x Invertebrate hotels
- 4 x Butterfly houses
How it works
The design is a layered system of interconnected habitats which bring together a broad spectrum of species in a mutually supportive ecosystem. The combination of wet and dry habitats, with integrated nesting areas and refuges, provide homes for rare and endangered species from hoverflies to hedgehogs.
Each habitat within the BioCube has been carefully located to provide protection and insulation from external influences such as predators, extreme temperatures, and noise.
Base Unit Deadwood Area
- Holds approximately 600 litres (deadwood material)
- Designed with open access to the ground beneath for direct integration with the site, encouraging the exchange of microorganisms and providing drainage
- Can be filled with deadwood material to attract a variety of species. The base of this area includes dry habitats for small mammals such as hedgehogs as well as wet habitats for amphibians such as frogs and newts
Core Reservoir & Additional Wet Habitat Area
- Holds approximately 100 litres (stone / gravel / water)
- Positioned above the base unit, the core reservoir can be filled with stone and holds water for irrigating the planting area above
- Recesses allow water to overflow, replenishing the wet chambers in the deadwood area below, attracting microorganisms and species which prefer a wet or damp habitat
- The base of the reservoir also acts as a shelter to the centre of the dead wood zone below, keeping this part of the BioCube slightly drier
Main Planting Area
- Holds approximately 650 litres (topsoil / growing media)
- Sits above the core reservoir
- Can be filled with topsoil or other growing media to grow a variety of plants dependent upon the requirements of the site – for example, plants that support pollinating insects or herbs and edibles
- Holds approximately 250 litres (topsoil / growing media)
- A second planting space that surrounds the main planting area to maximise growing capacity
- Creates added visual appeal
Wooden Habitats to Attract Bees, Butterflies & Other Insects
- Located on the outer edge of the main planting area and above the 'V-planters'
- Bee hotels with pre-drilled holes: designed to attract solitary bees such as mason or leafcutter bees
- A central butterfly house with long, thin slits
- An invertebrate hotel that can be filled with pinecones or other natural materials such as straw or leaf litter
Three Additional Multi-purpose Units
- Holds approximately 300 litres (topsoil / growing media)
- Can be used in a variety of ways to suit your requirements
- Suitable for use as raised planters for flowers, shrubs, herbs, or other edible produce
- A wildlife pond can be created by digging a section into the ground. Cover it with a waterproof membrane and fill it with water. This will create another aquatic habitat to attract frogs, toads, and other amphibians
Useful product information
Each BioCube is made from recycled or recyclable materials.
BioCube uses durable and robust construction materials. The unit itself requires minimal maintenance, if any at all, and is weather resistant. Any maintenance would be dependent on your planting scheme and how you choose to use the three multipurpose units.
Suitable for Hard Surfaces
To maximise the potential biodiversity gains of the BioCube, the units should ideally be installed in contact with a natural surface, such as grassed areas or bare soil, however, the benefits are still vast when installed on hard surfaces.
Irrigation and rainwater harvesting systems can be added separately to the BioCube, such as drip irrigation, to help keep plants watered and the pond area topped up.
Adaptable to Suit Your Site Requirements
Constructed using a modular approach, the BioCube has the flexibility to meet the needs of any site. Talk to us about your site design and your objectives and we can work with you on a configuration, installation and delivery plan to suit your needs.
Core unit specifications:
Length (front to back): 150cm
Width (front face): 150cm
Multi-purpose unit specifications:
Length (front to back): 120cm
Width (front face): 120cm